Saturday, September 15, 2007

Monolith Day 2


Britt Daniels of Spoon
Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips in his infamous bubble
Wayne again...
The Flaming Lips
Matt and Kim
The Brian Jonestown Massacre
Red Rocks Crowd
Art Brut

The Monolith Music Festival is now in the books and what can I say but wow. The Festival came to an end as headliners The Flaming Lips put on quite a show. This was my first time seeing the Flaming Lips and now I know why they are headline worthy. I was able to use my photo credentials to get up right on the stage and take some great snaps. Not to be undone but their were some other noteworthy performances on day two. We started our day by catching Matt and Kim, who had nothing but praise for the Red Rocks venue, Matt and Kim can be described as two very hyper kids who look like they have consumed way too much Red Bull. After Matt and Kim we took our seats and caught a brief glance at The Brian Jonestown Massacre, lets just say that lead man Anton Newcomb did not disappoint he was up to his shit-talking persona that defines his ego. We then caught Art Brut's set, this was my first time seeing Art Brut, they take a different approach to music not all to common. Eddie Argos sing-talking is pretty entertaining to say the least, i think at one point he even gave a shout-out to Jay Z. Next up was Britt Daniels and the boys from Austin Spoon, this was actually the second time Spoon played Red Rocks I caught them the first time during 93.3's Next Fest when they shared the bill with The Killers. I actually had a chance to chat with front man Britt Daniels before their set, a common theme around Red Rocks this festival was how everybody was amazed by the beautiful venue, I can't recall any other festival that I have been to that you see these artist walking around taking pics and exploring all of what Red Rocks has to offer. Spoon played a nice set consisting of a lot of the new stuff off of Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. Finally I made my way to the photo pit to get some good snaps of The Flaming Lips, needless to say I managed to grab a good spot..I spoke to my good friend Joel earlier and was asking him about The Flaming Lips and he simply stated it is not a concert, but an experience...he was right. Wayne and company have a flair for the dramatic when it comes to their stage show. As you can see from the pics above Coyne came out in his usual bubble and soon after that graced us with a beautiful set of old favorites and sing alongs. All in all the first annual Monolith Festival went down as a true experience, hopefully next year it will be a three day fest...although two days wore me out, i'm not sure how many stairs I climbed this weekend but it was all worth it. Thanks to everybody who made this weekend enjoyable, everybody at Monolith, the artist, the people behind the scenes, the volunteers, the crowds, my one and only Jenny for letting me introduce you to what music festivals are like. Until next time....

0 comments: