Saturday, December 27, 2008

Top Ten Albums of 2008




1. MGMT-Oracular Spectacular

I had a chance to see these guys in their own backyard in Brooklyn this past Summer, which was a highlight of the year, the album was recommended by the fellas over at ultra8201 just after SXSW last year and till this day I have yet to put it down.

2. The Black Keys- Attack and Release

It was hard to decide a #1 between my top three, but this album felt nostalgic for me in a sense that I could definetly see my parents listening to something like this back in their day. Strong production from Danger Mouse helped me appreciate the hard work it goes into making an album.

3. TV On The Radio-Dear Science

To be honest my top three could have gone in any order, TVOTR's album was a brilliant masterpiece that was in cnstant rotation on the iPod since it's release. Having a chance to see these guys live at Monolith and the way they brought Dear Science to life on stage made it a must have for anybody.

4. The Walkmen- Me&You

This one kinda flew under the radar for many people. A very under-appreciiated album in many ways, it was probably my sleeper pick of the year. With a track titled "Donde Esta La Playa" how could you not like this album.

5. Kanye West- 808's and Heartbreaks

I guess it's safe to say this was a love it or hate it album. I personally think Mr. West is a genius for pulling this one off. In a world of auto-tuned hip hop, Kanye brings a grown man to tears over relationships with this joint. Standout track for me would be "Heartless".

6. Q Tip- The Renaissance

Staying with the hip hop theme here Q takes it back to the old school with his latest. Being a fan of A Tribe Called Quest all my life and a so-so fan of Q's solo work it was do or die on this one. Q-Tip you saved yourself with this one and thanks for following me on Twitter that helps as well.

7. Coldplay-Viva La Vida

This was another band I had a chance to see live this year. Viva La Vida was more of a themed album if I had to describe it. It kinda played out into this long story from beginning to end. Standout track on this album for me was "Lost" and "Lovers in Japan".

8. Lykee Li- Youth Novels

It was a remix of "Breaking It Up" that stirred curiosity for me on this one. I missed out on an opportunity to see her last year at SXSW. The album itself was the Lilly Allen of this year for me.

9.Cut/Copy- In Colours

This album took me back to the Depeche Mode days of my early years. With electro-friendly beats and contagious lyrics it was a staple in my dj sets all year. They also manage to put on a high energy show as well. Standout track for me and I would say many others would be "Lights and Music".

10. Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes

I figured everybody in North America put this one in their top tens why not me. Although it took me a few listens to really "get it", it turned out to be one of the more lyrical gems of the year. It is one of those albums you want to put on while staying in a log cabin in Aspen and not shave for like a week.

Honorable Mention:
Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago
N.E.R.D.- Seeing Sounds
Lil Wayne- Tha Carter III
T.I.- Paper Trails
Black Kids- Partie Traumatic
Death Cab For Cutie- Narrow Stairs
Santogold-Santogold
Diplo- Top Ranking
Girltalk- Feed The Animals

0 comments: