Sunday, July 20, 2008

Live Blogging 11:50 (Day 2)

It's over, my feet hurt, my body hurts but it was all worth it.  To be honest with you I had my doubts about this festival when the lineup was first announced, after this weekend I was fortunate enough to see some awesome bands I had never seen.  They mesmerized and wowed the 40,000+ on Saturday and 60,000+ on Sunday.  Let it be known that the Mile High Music Festival did not disappoint.  Big congrats to everybody responsible for gracing us with two fun filed days of music, food, eye-candy, beer, arts and so on. 


As with any festival if you set a schedule 9 out of 10 times you never end up following it.  Such was the case with me, while I missed the Flobots and the Black Crowes I did catch a wonderful set by John Mayer (who would have thought), he went on earlier than anticipated which left people double checking their pocket schedules including myself who almost missed my opportunity to get into the photo pit to take some snaps.  He performed a balanced set of old and new material even getting the crowd into a hysterical frenzy with a cover of Van Halen's "Panama".  I now give you Mr. John Mayer.




Next up was Philly's finest The Roots. I have always been a huge fan of The Roots (I do own their whole catalog). The Roots are not your typical Hip Hop act focusing more on a direct live band sound that incorporated the lyrical genius of Black Thought and precision drumming of QuestLove. Often sitting in on house band duties for many Hip Hop groups including Jay-Z who he had on his UnPlugged session for MTV a few years ago. The Roots rocked The Bison Tent Stage, is it me or do we often see a common trend among festivals and tent performances (Daft Punk at Coachella ring a bell). Anyways Black Thought was on point with his lyrical mastery earning respect from the crowd who was packed in like sardines. Questlove on the other hand proved once again why he is one of the best drummers in the industry. The band even incorporated a live tuba to the mix to compliment the bands sound. I know give you The Roots.




Next up was Day 2 headliner Dave Matthews Band...who I will post about tomorrow. Good Night!

0 comments: